Trinity Historical Society
Visit the Trinity County Historical Commission by clicking here TCHC.
Trinity, Texas is located in Trinity County at the intersection of State Highways 19 and 94 and Farm to Market Roads 230, 356 and 1617 in the southwest part of the county. It was founded in the winter of 1872-73 on land purchased from the New York and Texas Land Company. A previous settlement in the vicinity had been called Kayser's (Kyser's) Prairie. Millican's Chapel, built in the 1850's on nearby Bell's Creek, is the first known church in the area. The new town was a station on the Houston and Great Northern Railroad, which built through Trinity County in 1872. The community was originally call Trinity Station, after the Trinity River, two miles southwest. The name was later changed to Trinity City and finally to Trinity. When the H&GN bypassed Sumpter, the county seat, many residents of that community moved to Trinity, which became the county seat on May 20, 1873. Trinity then consisted of two stores and five saloons. In 1874 the county seat was moved to Pennington, but Trinity remained a railroad center and the largest town in the county.
Like to read more about the
History of Trinity Texas ?
Buy the Book